Today I came upon an article written by a woman named Gwyn Teatro, she worked in a leadership position for a rather large company for 35 years of her life. She took what she learned there and wrote several pieces about how to effectively collaborate with others. She often noted the importance in reinforcing others so that they feel they have something to offer in the project. This results in a better mesh of ideas because people are more comfortable putting their ideas out there. This sort of environment would certainly be beneficial to my film. I think each of my friends involved have their own unique senses of humor and work well with my own. Also this aspect would really add to the collaborative aspect of my project which is what brings me most out of my comfort zone. There are little changes here and there done by others in the project but I’d like to have more, or at least have the process of open discussion. Seeing as I have a very limited amount of time left I thought maybe I’d take advantage of all the free time I have during the school day. I could bring a script into school and talk with the people involved about what they like and what they want to add. I think this will make the filming even easier if everyone feels like they've invested something in the project.
Another thing Gwyn talked about that I found helpful was the importance in actively seeking self knowledge and learning. Although I spend a lot of time looking at the techniques of famous directors and have no issue with changing my work if I think there’s a better way of doing it. The issue I have is with learning from my friends. Now it’s not as if I refuse any different jokes it’s more of an issue in a noticeable change in a scene. What’s even more difficulty is actively seeking out the advice of some friends regarding the film. This is likely rooted in some light level narcissism. It’s something I think everyone has when working in the field they’re most passionate about. I have no issue recognizing that my friends are more skilled than I in plenty of things but sometimes I get in my way by having difficulty recognizing that with writing. So this particular suggestion has pushed me to remind myself when listening to an idea that I won’t always have the best idea and that everyone will have at least a few good ideas to offer. I have a mindset that I take into critique that allows me to do that but for some reason it’s more difficult when speaking with close friends. So all in all, from Teatro’s article I’ve opted to have a more open dialogue with actors and to strive to be open about each idea regardless of who gives it.
No comments:
Post a Comment