Monday, April 20, 2015

Class Questions

Today in class we listened to a piece by one Brian Grazer who spoke on his belief in the importance of leaving your comfort zone. Grazer says that he often pairs himself with difficult people in situations that are at that time beyond his skill set.  This he says is the key to growth, and that without growth you may as well be dead. Grazer repeatedly questions himself as to why he subjects himself to these difficulties even though he is capable of retiring instead. He goes back to this idea that even as a competent adult, growth is integral to human life.
   This led me to question my own tendencies and if I myself frequently exit my comfort zone in the course of my own project. As I've mentioned before the field in which my project resides is not one I am competent but beyond that have I really extended myself to a significant degree? I think thus far what has been most nerve racking, furthest beyond my comfort  zone, is simply the task of acting, and having others have to recite my lines. In the past I have been rather private with my writing and rarely chose to share. So to have people read my writing in front of me and attempt to make it work is new and provides anxiousness. It's to a lesser degree with acting yet still performing arts have always made me uncomfortable and to have to do it in front of friends somehow makes it worse.
     The next step in exiting my comfort zone and developing further would be to share pieces of my film with those working professionally in the field. Sharing my writing isn't easy but I have a decent degree of confidence in that, whereas in film I haven't the slightest. I am fully aware that feedback on my film would be incredibly beneficial but to put it out there is difficult. As I write this though I am seeing it as an integral part of the process and will likely force myself to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment