Thursday, April 9, 2015

Further Issue and Future Plans

Once again filming has been pushed back. The plan was to film yesterday afternoon, my friend Noa had collected all the necessary equipment from the schools digital media department. Noa and I went to my house to film the first scenes but when we attempted to film we were met with an error message on the camera that Noa was unable to fix. As a result filming has been delayed. Due to Noa's busy schedule the soonest possible date for filming is Sunday evening. This brings a bit of anxiety because I am still without anything to edit, on the upside though it's looking as if I will be able to lock down Saturday of next weekend for a full day of filming with all the key actors present. It's frustrating to be without work to do for so long but hopefully I will soon have plenty to do.
    With the lack of work I have spent much of my week researching for my project. This has involved reading through The Screenwriters Bible and viewing films. The first film I watched this week was a film directed by Shane Carruth, Primer. It's about a group of four guys who in their spare time work on science projects in  on of their garages. In one of their experiments they invent a machine that allows them to travel in time. Two of the men go back in time to cut the other two men out of the discovery and quickly use the machine for their own gain. What impressed me most about the film was Calluth's ability to produce an intriguing story that at the same time left you unable to understand a large majority of what was going on on screen. It was very important to watch very intently. It pushed me to think about the inclusion of subtleties to draw a viewer in. I will modify the script throughout the week to possibly make things less predictable or obvious. Also the film was made on the minuscule budget of seven thousand dollars which makes it clear that you don't necessarily need excessive money to produce something of quality.
     The second film I viewed was in a much different vein. The film was Hot Rod, directed by Akiva Schaffer. Hot Rod is a comedic film that follows a stuntman named Rod Kimble who wants to save his step fathers life by raising money through stunts on his motor bike. Kimble works to pay for his stepfathers surgery so that they can fight one more time because he feels that he must beat him in physical combat in order to gain his respect. This is a film I have seen many times before and may have subconsciously drawn from in my script. It's helpful in my project because much like my own film it revolves around a group of friends with unique personalities and it thrives off of their conversations with one another. I may just use this an example of creating comedy through these basic interactions while still pushing a story along and achieving some sort of conclusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment