I have come to notice that my project tends to be somewhat lacking in the area of research. To combat by tendency of failing to mention what research I have done, my teacher, Alexis Lord, suggested that I start doing a weekly research question. Now I'm not so sure how I will write this in the future but this I am both answering a question and posing a new one.
Now the one I have been responding for the past week is the question of how to both use and properly utilize the program Adobe Premier Pro. As I wrote that sentence I also had to research how to write program titles, whether to italicize or not. I found no answer in my short search so I hope italics are not required. Anyways I have spent the past week editing my first bits of footage and am now editing the larger pieces from Saturday. This has forced me to spend much of my time working to understand Adobe Premier Pro. For those that don't know this particular program is one of the better video editing programs and currently runs for over two-hundred dollars. Fortunately they offer a month by month plan for thirty dollars a month. Due to it being a very comprehensive program it takes a bit of time to take advantage of what it offers. This is what you see upon opening the program.
The first step in using it effectively was to read through the shortcuts for certain necessary tools, such as the tool to cut slips, and then modify them to my liking. Due to the quality of the program it's built with the idea that most people using the program will have had some experience in editing, this resulted in my own difficulty to figure out how to do things as simple as fade in and out. So for the more basic aspects of editing I kind of just learned as I went, learning functions as I needed them. I am now capable of efficiently editing clips length and sound, making a more fluid piece.
In terms of the more complex aspects to the program though, I have had a bit more struggle. For example I was working with a clip of a car driving by a large hill that was covered in bright yellow grass. The scene worked well because of the color, so when I went to edit it and found the colors to be much more dull than they were in reality, I attempted to use color correction. Now I could have just brightened the shot but it washed everything out the contrast was lacking. I could have increased the contrast but that resulted in it looking very artificial and poorly edited. So I went with the difficult method of having to navigate the color correction tools. What I ended up using was a mask which is simply a tool where you modify a shape to cover what area of the image you want to modify. You then alter the color with a standard rgb color model and brightness/contrast scale. It took me some time to reach the color I wanted but in the end I had something much closer to what I originally imagined. I will likely post a before and after of the image tomorrow. There are many more specifics I could go into but this post is already moderately long and I will likely address those aspects later on.
My question to answer this week is, how to use camera work to improve a scene and keep an audience interested.
On top of adding a weekly question I also want to post my weekly goals each Monday and the state of the goals of the week prior. So this is what I would like to accomplish between now and next Monday.
Goals
- Edit together the first two scenes involving dialogue.
- Set up a second full film day within the next two weeks.
- Complete a small section of film to share with the class next Monday.
- Complete rewrites and write the last of the scenes.
- Fix and add to bibliography.
No comments:
Post a Comment