Monday, March 23, 2015

Looking at Past Projects

     Today in class I received a former WISE student's project to both evaluate and draw from. Although I have yet to look through it thoroughly I did take time to read through their reflection, research commentary, bibliography and their first entry.
     For this students specific project they ,in collaboration with one other student, created a documentary focused on their fellow seniors in their last semester of high school. This documentary was made with the idea of it being a narrative of the students given little attention due to them being so near graduation.
     If there were a particular component of their reflection that was most useful to me it would be the long list of unforeseen challenges encountered throughout their process. Challenges that sometimes arose from areas initially seen as a simple step. It's important to see the inevitable roadblocks that will require you to alter your project, it's easy to be deterred by this sort of conflict if you are unaware of how common the issue is.
     It's interesting because the largest problem this student faced was scheduling which is something I predicted and have experienced in my own project. This issue of finding shared free time among many different people is a much more troubling task than it may seem. They mentioned that if they were to do it over they would be more organized creating a confirmed schedule among all those involved. It may have been beneficial to them but I have an inclination that for me it may be useless, those who have agreed to act in my film are not exactly known for being reliable. This produces some concerns for myself, most notably that I'll be squeezed for time regardless of how many precautionary measures I take. With that said ease comes in the form of a sentiment found repeatedly in the former students project I received. Through all the issues to overcome and the shortcomings, the project remained to be incredibly fulfilling, that it may not be entirely about the final product but also the journey that gets you there.

1 comment:

  1. Nice connecting with the material Aidan--you are incredibly articulate, analytical and introspective and it's moving to read.

    ReplyDelete